PEI Potato, Corn and Bean ChowderA hearty vegetarian chowder!
|PEI White Potatoes, large dice||3 medium|
|Vegetable Oil||1 tbsp (15 ml)|
|Onion, chopped||1 medium|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Celery stalks, thinly sliced||2|
|Carrot, small dice||1|
|Vegetable Stock or Water||2.5 cups (625 ml)|
|Cream or Milk||1.5 cups (375 ml)|
|White Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed||1 can (19 oz)|
|Cream Corn||1.5 cups (375 ml)|
|Basil, dried||2 tsp (10 ml)|
|Tarragon, dried||2 tsp (10 ml)|
|Salt and Pepper||to taste|
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat; add oil then add onion, garlic, potatoes, celery and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently .
2. Add vegetable stock (or water) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3. Add cream (or milk), kidney beans, corn and spices; heat thoroughly.
4. Season with salt & pepper and serve immediately.
• Leftover portions can be cooled, refrigerated and served the next day.
• Low-sodium vegetable stock can also be used.
• Red kidney beans can be substituted for white beans.
• 1 tbsp fresh herbs = 1 tsp dry herbs
Back To Recipes