Chef Seth Shaw’s Award Winning Chowder2018 PEI Potato Seafood Chowder Winner Chef Seth Shaw and the winning chowder recipe.
1.5 hours, serves 6.
|PEI Potatoes, peeled and diced||1 lb|
|Large Spanish Onion, finely chopped||1|
|Heavy Cream||3 Cups|
|Lobster Stock (see below)||6 Cups|
|Thick, Smoked Bacon||1/2 lb|
|Haddock Fillets||1 lbs|
|Lobster Meat, add more to your preference||250g|
|Lobster Body & Shell||4 Cups|
For Lobster Stock:
1) Large dice the celery and onion and place on a baking sheet.
2) Spread the lobster bodies evenly on top of the veggies.
3) Roast in at 350F for 20 minutes.
4) Move veggies and lobster to large stock pot. Rinse pan with water to get all brown veggies or shells.
5) To the pot, add water, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer for 40 minutes.
6) Strain and reserve liquid for chowder.
1) Peel and Medium dice potatoes and soak in water for 10 minutes.
2) Small dice the onion.
3) Small dice the bacon and cook in large pot until crisp. Drain fat except ½ cup.
4) Cook the onions in the bacon fat until just translucent.
5) Add butter and melt then add flour and cook roux for 2 minutes.
6) Add stock slowly in 4 increments to prevent clumping- stirring to combine after each.
7) Add potatoes and cook for 20 minutes.
8) Add cream.
9) Add haddock and scallops and mussels and turn off heat. Let cook in pot with residual heat.
10) Season with salt and pepper.
11) Right before serving add the lobster.
Back To Recipes