PEI Potato and Leek SoupA warm and hearty soup for even the coldest of winter days!
|PEI Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and large diced||3 large|
|Olive Oil or Butter||2 tbsp (30 ml)|
|Leeks, washed & chopped||2 cups (500 ml)|
|Garlic cloves, chopped||2|
|Onion, chopped||1 medium|
|Summer Savoury, dried||1 tbsp (15 ml)|
|All Purpose Flour||1/4 cup (50 ml)|
|Chicken Stock, Vegetable Stock, or Water||5 cups (1250 ml)|
|Fresh Thyme, removed from stems||1/2 tbsp (8 ml)|
|Milk||1 cup (250 ml)|
|Salt and Pepper||to taste|
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat; add oil, leeks, garlic, onion and summer savory.
2. Reduce heat and cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are softened; approximately 7-8 minutes.
3. Add flour; stir to coat, do not brown.
4. Add chicken stock stirring constantly; add potatoes and thyme and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Puree in a food processor or blender in small batches.
6. Return to pot, add milk and season with salt & pepper, heat thoroughly and serve .
Chef’s Tips :
• To make a dairy free soup, replace the milk with chicken or vegetable stock and use the olive oil.
• Garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Back To Recipes